The land on which this palace sits was given to The Prince of Songkhla (Mahidol), the father of the current king, early in the 20th century. He was away studying overseas at the time, and the palace was not built until the 1920s. Unfortunately, he did not have time to enjoy it for long, as he died in 1929.
His widow, the Princess Mother, lived on in the palace until her death in 1995. It is now used by her grand-daughter, HRH Princes Srindhorn.
As it is still used as a royal palace, the building and grounds are not open to the public.