Just outside the western gate is the 'teak forest' temple of Wat Pa Sak. Several structures are still visible. The main chedi (pagoda) was built in 1340 by Saen Phu, the founder of Chiang Saen. The temple's name alludes to the hundreds of teak trees planted on the order of Saen Phu.
The old pagoda of Wat Pa Sak, siting in its teak wood forest.
The buildings have been excavated and restored by the Thai Fine Arts Department. Admission is 30 Baht (0.78 USD) for westerners.