The largest of the many artificial reservoirs within the walls of the old city is called Traphang Tra Kuan, and on two islands in the middle of the pond is Wat Sa Sri, which means 'temple of the colored pond'. The temple was probably built in the late fourteenth century. The elegant bell-shaped chedi is thought to contain the ashes of King Li Thai, who reigned between 1347 and 1368 (or maybe 1374).
Directly in front of the stupa to the east are the remains of a large prayer hall (wiharn), complete with its large seated Buddha image. Further to the east, on its own separate island, are the remains of the ordination hall. Not much remains of the ordination hall aside from its high brick platform, which is used as a seating area for the monthly sound and light shows put on at the temple during the cool season.
Access to Wat Sa Sri is across a foot bridge on the south side. The temple is very photogenic, especially early in the morning and around sunset. The grassy bank of the east side of the pond makes a good place to enjoy a sunset picnic.