Here are some links to information pages for those looking for specific travel information on things other than the run-of-the-mill sights.
- There's a wealth of outdoor activities and sports opportunities available in Thailand.
- Alternative Travel
- If you're looking for a different kind of travel experience, whether its home-stays, volunteer programs or adventure tours, then try the organizations listed below.
- Business Tips
- Thailand can be a highly rewarding, as well as a highly frustrating place to do business. Most Thais are keen to have their nation join the ranks of fully developed countries. They love to learn about the practices and technology of the West, yet they can stubbornly refuse to believe ideas that work effectively all over the world will work in Thailand. "This is Thailand" is the often-used excuse when people ask why things are done differently here. To help you get by if you're visiting Thailand on business, here are some of the things we've learned from working in Bangkok for more than a dozen years.
- Gay / Lesbian Travel
- Thailand is a rather liberal place for those living an "alternate lifestyle," especially when compared to its neighbors. There has historically been very little official harassment of gays or lesbians. However, it should be noted that Thais generally are somewhat conservative in regards to overt displays of affection between any kind of couple in public. Holding hands or walking with your arms around your friend is okay, more than that is not.
- Museums / Monuments
- Museums wouldn't exactly be at the top of our list of places to see in Thailand, but there are a few 'museum-like' places that you might want to put on your itinerary, listed below. In fact there are more than 200 museums around the country, devoted to everyting from past monarchs to forensic science.
- The Outdoors
- Thailand offers a number of options for the outdoors enthusiast. Given the hot tropical climate, most of them involve water. Diving, sailing, windsurfing, you name it and if it involves water you can probably find great places to do it in Thailand.
- Thailand has long been known as a bargain hunter's paradise. The floatation of the Baht in 1997 has made it even better in many cases. Here's a list of the kinds of things you can get the best deals on, if you remember to bargain!
- Thailand is becoming increasingly popular as a destination for romantic, exotic weddings. This is probably due in part to the relative ease with which foreigners can get married. Of course, the spectacular scenery afforded by places such as Krabi or the cultural backdrop of Chiang Mai also has a lot to do with it as well.